Thursday, September 19, 2013

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today I met the most precious gift given to me. I’m thankful for all the Lord has done this past year and look forward to what He has in store for the years to come.



WCIC did a blog post about my story meeting Luca. They mention it during each air shift and refer people to their website to read the whole story. Here is the actual transcript of the questions I answered.

1. What made you decide to go on this mission trip?

My church started an orphan care ministry in 2011 and the Lord continually opened opportunities for how I could care for the orphans as He instructs us in James 1:27. I kept hearing the advertisement on WCIC for the trip to Maria’s Big House of Hope and I sent my sisters a message and said I think we need to go on this trip.

2. Did you expect that God would call you to adopt before you went on this trip? Or were you totally blindsided that a child so grabbed a hold of your heart?

It was definitely unexpected. I thought at some point after I was married that adoption would be in my future but it wasn’t even on my radar when I met Luca because I knew you couldn’t just say, “Ok, I’ll take him”. If that was the case I think every single one of us on the trip would have brought one or two or three home with us! God certainly had a special story written for us.

3. When you met Luca, was it love at first sight? How did you know this was your son? Did you have an experience where the Lord spoke to you specifically that this was your son?

I had a special connection with Luca. I had been loving on kids all week but it was different with him. He was on the playground sitting in his stroller so I went over and asked the nanny if I could pick him up. He was very sweet and had fun giggling while we played. I told my sisters I had to find out what room he was in so I could go visit him later. I didn’t meet him until the end of our trip so I really only spent a short amount of time with him. We definitely bonded during that time. The last time I was with him he didn’t want me to leave and I didn’t either. I thought that was the last time I would see him.

4. How did the adoption come about? Didn't a friend mention that she thought you'd meet your child there? :) It's impossible for identified adoptions to happen anymore so how were you able to be matched with Luca and get him so quickly?

On the way home on the plane I actually overheard you (Catherine) talking to someone else about what agency you were using for your adoption and you mentioned that they sometimes have children listed that had been at Maria’s. I wrote it down real quick thinking I would just look when I got home to see if I recognized any of the kids we had met. Little did I know what God had in store!

When I returned home I visited the waiting child list and literally gasped when I saw Luca’s picture on there. He was the only child I recognized from Maria’s. I couldn’t believe it. I knew almost immediately the Lord was telling me he was my son. After much prayer and conversations with my family I began the process to adopt him.

Yes, my friend Amy has adopted three girls from China. I sent her a message telling her what had happened and she responded, “I knew it! God spoke to my heart and I was praying specifically because I knew you would meet your child there.”

The only reason I can give to being matched with Luca and getting him so quickly is the Lord. He has been faithful every step of the way. I actually found out that Luca just came to Maria’s shortly before we got there and had not been on the waiting child list very long.

To think that 10 months after meeting Luca I was able to go and bring him home is incredible. It really was such a smooth process. My agency walked me through every step. I am so thankful for all of the support I received from my family and friends. The prayers and financial support were so appreciated and such an encouragement along the way.

5. How has Luca adjusted to life in America?

Luca is doing so great. From the moment I got him he has fit right in and attached to me very well. He is happy 99% of the time. The 1% is when he doesn’t want to go to bed! He will eat anything and is a very busy boy.

6. How have you adjusted to life as a single mom?

I am blessed to have an AMAZING support system. My parents and sisters are a huge help! My extended family, friends and church family have been great too!

Life has definitely changed with a toddler in the house. Who knew one little person could create so many more dirty dishes and fill the garbage up so quickly!? I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s definitely a lot of time management. Sometimes things just don’t get done as quickly as they may have before…and that’s ok.

I never would have thought the Lord would have started my family in this way - meeting my son miles away. I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for me and Luca. We can’t wait to see how He has us find my husband and his daddy since He had us meet in such a special way. God is good!

7. What has most surprised you about motherhood?

Lack of sleep! Luca is not sleeping consistently yet. One night he may sleep 12 hours and the next night he may wake up at 2:30a.m. and be ready to play. While this makes for a tired momma I’m cherishing these moments. How can I resist when I’m trying to get him to go to sleep and he tells me to sing the B-I-B-L-E and when I do he kisses me all over the face!?

8. What words of wisdom do you have for people who are hesitant to take the risk of adoption? What about advice for moms who are waiting for their babies overseas?

It is worth the risk. It would have been easy to find reasons why I couldn’t do it. Those reasons would have been purely selfish. If you choose to be obedient to God He will bless you.

Waiting is hard. Some times are easier than others. My advice would be to just keep giving it to the Lord. Your son or daughter is in His hands and always will be. I also found it helpful to join groups on Facebook with other people that have children at the same orphanage or in the same province. You can see how things are moving through the process for them and it gives you hope knowing that others are waiting too. If you have questions about something there is usually someone in the group that has gone through it and can give you advice.

9. Anything you want to add? :)

The trip with WCIC and Show Hope was incredible and can never be duplicated. We had such an amazing team. Lifelong friendships were made. I love that we still get together and have stayed in touch with each other.

It was such a blessing to witness the love and care the children receive at Maria’s Big House of Hope because of Show Hope and those that support them. It is a little glimpse of heaven on earth! It holds a special place in my heart knowing they cared for my son. Looking back at the pictures I can see such a difference from how he looked when he first came into their care to how he looked even six months later. They are providing lifesaving care for orphans in need.



No comments:

Post a Comment